Opportunities for Implementing a Cross-Disciplinary Approach in Institutions of Professional Pre-Higher and Higher Education in Ukraine
The paper highlights the opportunities for implementing an cross-disciplinary approach in institutions of professional pre-higher and higher education in Ukraine under conditions of decentralization. The paper aims to identify the status and prospects of implementing the cross-disciplinary approach in institutions of professional pre-higher and higher education under conditions of guaranteed academic autonomy. The following theoretical methods are used in research: analysis of scientific literature and legislative acts; synthesis, systematization and generalization of the obtained results; surveys; statistical processing of empirical data. The results. It is found out that the academic autonomy of vocational schools and higher education institutions in Ukraine is declared at the state level through the right to introduce specialties, develop and implement educational programs, independently determine forms of education and forms of organizing educational process, determine the content and curricular, provide publishing activities. The results of the survey among both vocational schools teachers and higher education institutions teachers show that the realization of the right to academic autonomy for different participants of educational process is not equal. They are most implemented for the education institutions administration, then for teachers and only then for students. It is substantiated that implementing the principle of autonomy of pre-higher and higher education institutions under the conditions of increased influence of the global labour market on education and growing qualification gap actualizes the need to introduce the cross-disciplinary approach. A survey aimed at introducing forms of cross-disciplinary education shows their above-average use in vocational schools and higher education institutions, mostly in cross-disciplinary links, combining knowledge, methods from different specialties while studying individual subjects and between disciplines in the curriculum. The direction of development of cross-disciplinary programs is the least realized in practice. Conclusions. Positive developments in terms of efficiency, productivity, quality and affordability are possible only if all the stakeholders unite their efforts as well as the staff of vocational schools and higher education institutions start to work together. The research provides the basis to assert that the strategic directions for developing educational sector in Ukraine aimed at decentralization and autonomy identified at the state level are relevant. The autonomy of educational institutions improves the quality of vocational education through the development and implementation of new specialties and specializations, the integration of educational programs within individual specialties, strengthening cross-disciplinary links at the level of content and teaching methodology.
2. Verdenkhofa, O., Kaleniuk, I., Tsymbal, L. (2018). Parametry ta modeli avtonomii universytetiv. [Parameters and models of university autonomy]. Mizhnarodna ekonomichna polityka – International economic policy, 1 (28), 109–127. Retrieved from http://journals.uran.ua/jiep/article/view/169411 [in Ukrainian].
3. Vlasova, I. (2018). Avtonomiia zakladiv vyshchoi osvity: analiz kliuchovykh yevropeiskykh i mizhnarodnykh dokumentiv [Autonomy of higher education institutions: analysis of the key European and International documents]. International Scientific Journal of Universities and Leadership. 1(5), 62–71. Retrieved from https://ul-journal.org/index.php/journal/article/view/74 [in Ukrainian].
4. Vozniak, H., Zherebylo, I. (2020). Detsentralizatsiia osvity: vitchyzniani realii ta napriamy reformuvannia. [Decentralization of education: domestic realities and areas of reform]. Svit finansiv – The world of finance. 1(62). 128–139. Retrieved from http://dspace.wunu.edu.ua/bitstream/316497/38176/1/%D0%92%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%BD%D1%8F%D0%BA.pdf [in Ukrainian].
5. Dobroskok, I.I., Melnyk, T.A. (2019). Pidhotovka maibutnikh pedahohiv profesiinoho navchannia v umovakh studentotsentrovanoho navchannia i vykladannia. [Training of the Future Vocational Education Teachers in the Conditions of Student-Centred Learning and Teaching]. Professional Education: Methodology, Theory and Technologies. 10, 143–157 Retrieved from http://188.8.131.52/bitstream/handle/8989898989/5948/11.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y [in Ukrainian].
6. Zaskalieta, S., Shcherbakova, O. (2020). Zastosuvannia pryntsypiv mizhpredmetnykh zviazkiv u vyshchii shkoli: zarubizhnyi dosvid. [General trends of professional training of teachers in the context of implementation of interdisciplinary relations (foreign experience)]. Educological discourse. 2 (29). 121–131. Retrieved from https://od.kubg.edu.ua/index.php/journal/article/view/692 [in Ukrainian].
7. Kovalchuk, V.I. (2021). Shliakhy podolannia kvalifikatsiinoho rozryvu v pidhotovtsi maibutnikh fakhivtsiv. [Ways to bridge the qualification gap in the training of future professionals]. Profesiine stanovlennia osobystosti: problemy i perspektyvy : materialy ХІ Mizhnarodnoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii – Professional development of personality: problems and prospects: materials of the XI International scientific-practical conference (pp. 27-38). Khmelnytskyi : KhNU [in Ukrainian].
8. Kolot, A. M. (2014). Mizhdystsyplinarnyi pidkhid yak dominanta rozvytku ekonomichnoi nauky ta osvitnoi diialnosti. [Interdisciplinary approach as a dominant development of economic science and educational activities]. Sotsialna ekonomika – Social economy. 1-2, 76–83. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/se_2014_1-2_15 [in Ukrainian].
9. Pokudina, L. (2017). Vykorystannia potentsialu mizhdystsyplinarnoi intehratsii u formuvanni hotovnosti do profesiinoi diialnosti maibutnikh fakhivtsiv finansovo-ekonomichnoi sfery [Using the Potential of Interdisciplinary Integration in Preparing Future Financiers for Professional Activities]. Pedahohika i psykholohiia profesiinoi osvity – Pedagogy and psychology of vocational education. 1, 76–83 Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Pippo_2017_1_8 [in Ukrainian].
10. Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education” № 1556-VII. (2014, July 01) Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18 [in Ukrainian].
11. Order of the Ministry of Education and Science “On the Approval of the Requirements for Interdisciplinary Educational (Scientific) Programs” № 128. (2021, February 01) Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0454-21#Text [in Ukrainian].
12. Law of Ukraine “On Professional Higher Education” № 2745-VIII. (2021, December 05) Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2745-19 [in Ukrainian].
13. Semeniuk, Yu., Kolisnichenko, N. (2019). Vyznachennia ta osnovni poniattia detsentralizatsii osvity: publichnoupravlinskyi kontekst. [Definitions and basic concepts of the decentralization in education: public-administration context]. Public Administration and Local Government. 3(42), 111–120. Retrieved from http://www.dridu.dp.ua/zbirnik_dums/2019/2019_03(42)/15.pdf [in Ukrainian].
14. Strategy for the development of higher education in Ukraine for 2021-2031. Retrieved from https://reform.org.ua/proj_edu_strategy_2021-2031.pdf [in Ukrainian].
15. Filipenko, A.S. (2018). Mizhdystsyplinarna metodolohiia: bazovi pryntsypy [Interdisciplinary methodology: basic principles]. International relations, part «Economic sciences». 13, 7–13. Retrieved from http://journals.iir.kiev.ua/index.php/ec_n/article/viewFile/3283/2959 [in Ukrainian].
16. Sheremet, I.I. (2018). Do istorii avtonomii universytetiv [To the history of university autonomy]. Bulletin of Odessa National University. Sociology and political science. vol. 23, 1(30), 89–97. Retrieved from http://heraldiss.onu.edu.ua/index.php/2304-1439/article/view/145405 [in Ukrainian].
17. Shkura, I., Shulyk, Yu.( 2020). Zarubizhnyi dosvid uprovadzhennia mizhdystsyplinarnykh osvitnikh prohram ta mozhlyvosti yoho zastosuvannia v Ukraini [Foreign experience of implementation of interdisciplinary educational programs and possibility of its application in Ukraine]. Naukovi zapysky BDPU. Seriia: Pedahohichni nauky – Scientific notes of the Belarusian State Pedagogical University. Series: Pedagogical sciences. Vol. 2, 114–127. Retrieved from https://pedagogy.bdpu.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/14.pdf [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.