Understanding the nature and features of the deinstitutionalization process by the future social workers and social educators
The article is devoted to the problem of the readiness of future social workers and social educators for the process of de-institutionalization. The purpose of the article is to describe the separate accents of the deinstitutionalization implementation in Ukraine at the present stage and to reveal the level of students’ understanding of the essence and features of this process. To reveal the essence of the problem of deinstitutionalization, the following theoretical methods are used in the study: analysis, synthesis, systematization, comparison, as well as empirical methods such as questionnaires, conversations, graphical data visualization methods. The essence of deinstitutionalization is revealed as a process of reform, which envisages a transition from an institutional care system to a system providing the upbringing of children in the family or in the close to it conditions. The basis vectors of deinstitutionalization are identified on the way of implementation the National strategy of reforming the institutions of institutional care and education of children in modern conditions. The issues linked to understanding by students (future social workers and social educators) the nature and features of reforming boarding institutions are identified and characterized. It is found that a large number of students do not understand the directions, components and strategic results of deinstitutionalization as an innovation in social work; they have no vision of the negative impact of boarding school on child development. It is also found that students do not sufficiently understand what the best interests of the child are. It is stated that the problem of students' unpreparedness to deinstitutionalization increases the weaknesses and risks of the reform process of boarding school in general. This causes a considerable resistance to change, slowing down the process, its misunderstanding. Based on the mentioned problems, we highlighted the tasks of training students of "Social work" specialty as subjects of deinstitutionalisation process.
2. Veretenko, T., Denysiuk, O., Spirina, T. (2017). Mizhnarodnyi dosvid deinstytutsializatsii ta reformuvannia sotsialnykh posluh [International experience in deinstitutionalization and reform of social services]. Pedahohichni nauky – Pedagogical Sciences. LXXIX. 1., 207–210 [in Ukrainian].
3. Hordiienko, N. (2017). Stavlennia pedahohiv internatnykh zakladiv systemy osvity Ukrainy do problem yikhnoho reformuvannia (sotsiolohichnyi aspekt) [Attitude of teachers of boarding schools in the education system of Ukraine to the problems of their reform (sociological aspect)]. Evropsky politicky a pravni diskurz. 4 (3). 185–191 [in Ukrainian].
4. Hordiienko, N. (2018). Osvitni zaklady internatnoho typu u dyskursi sotsiolohii [Boarding schools in the discourse of sociology]. Zaporizhzhia : Khortytska natsionalna akademiia [in Ukrainian].
5. Deinstytutsializatsiia ta yakisnyi alternatyvnyi dohliad ditei d Yerropi (Zasvoieni uroky ta rukh upered): robochyi document Eurochild [Deinstitutionalization and quality alternative childcare in Europe (Lessons learned and moving forward) : working paper Eurochild]. Retrieved from http://openingdoors.org.ua/ua/proofs/zbirka_zhurnalistskih_robit.html [in Ukrainian]
6. Deinstytutsializatsiia. Ofitsiinyi sait Ministerstva sotsialnoi polityky Ukrainy [Deinstitutionalization. Official site of the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine]. Retrieved from: https://www.msp.gov.ua/timeline/Deinstitucializaciya.html [in Ukrainian].
7. Deinstytutsializatsiia. Ruinivnyk mifiv [Deinstitutionalization. Destroyer of myths]. Retrieved from http://hopeandhomes.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Руйнівник-міфів [in Ukrainian].
8. Postoliuk, H. (Red.) (2018). Dorozhnia karta reformy: mitsni simi, zakhyshcheni dity [Reform Roadmap: Strong Families, Protected Children]. Kyiv : Nadia і zhytlo dlia ditei [in Ukrainian].
9. Kalchenko, L. (2017). Tekhnolohiia reintehratsii vykhovantsiv internatnykh zakladiv do biolohichnoi simi yak praktychnyi instrument systemy preventsii sotsialnoho syritstva [Technology for reintegration of residential caregivers into a biological family as a practical tool for the system of social orphanage prevention]. Science Rise. Pedagogical Education. 12, 38–43 [in Ukrainian].
10. Leshchenko, O. (2017). Profilaktyka sotsialnoho syritstva yak aktualna potreba sohodennia [Preventing orphanage as an urgent need of today]. Visnyk Zaporizkoho natsionalnoho universytetu. Pedahohichni nauky – Bulletin of Zaporizhzhia National University. Pedagogical Sciences. 1, 18–25 [in Ukrainian].
11. Lys, V. (2019). Upravlinnia sferoiu zapobihannia sotsialnomu syritstvu v Ukraini u konteksti vprovadzhennia pryntsypiv deinstytutsializatsii [Managing the field of social orphanage prevention in Ukraine in the context of implementing deinstitutionalization principles]. Efektyvnist derzhavnoho upravlinnia – Efficiency of Public Administration 4 (61) 1, 123–135 [in Ukrainian].
12. Ostrovych, E. (2018). Zahalna kharakterystyka protsesu deinstytutsializatsii v Ukraini [General characteristics of the process of deinstitutionalization in Ukraine]. Prykarpatskyi yurydychnyi visnyk – Subcarpathian Law Herald. 1(22) 2, 35–39 [in Ukrainian].
13. Petrochko, Zh. (2018). Peredumovy ta stratehichni zavdannia deinstytutsializatsii v Ukraini [Prerequisites and strategic objectives of deinstitutionalization in Ukraine]. Pedahohika i psykholohiia – Pedagogics and Psychology. 3, 49–56 [in Ukrainian].
14. Petrochko, Zh., Kuz'minskij, V., Kijanica, Z. (2020). Social'naja rabota s sem'jami i det'mi: otvety na aktual'nye voprosy [Social work with families and children: answers to current questions]. Byshkek [in Russian].
15. Popovych, A. (2012). Suchasni pidkhody do tlumachennia poniattia deinstytutsializatsiia [Current approaches to interpreting the concept of deinstitutionalization]. Visnyk Uzhhorodskoho natsionalnoho universytetu. Seriia. Pedahohika, sotsialna robota – Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod University. Series: «Pedagogy. Social Work». 24, 130–132 [in Ukrainian].
16. Sheremet, A. (2016). Reformuvannia derzhavnoi systemy opiky nad ditmy yak priorytetnyi napriam polityky Ukrainy [Reforming the state child custody system as a priority for Ukraine's policy]. Zbirnyk naukovykh prats Natsionalnoi akademii derzhavnoi prykordonnoi sluzhby Ukrainy. Seriia Pedahohichni nauky – Collection of scientific works of the National Academy of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine. Series: Pedagogical Sciences. 4 (6), 248–259 [in Ukrainian].
17. Terziev, V. & Arabska, E. (2016). Process of Deinstitutionalization of Children at Risk in Bulgaria. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 233, 287–291.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.