Training of the future vocational education teachers in the conditions of student-centred learning and teaching
The article reveals the theoretical aspects of the future vocational education teachers' training in the conditions of student-centred learning and teaching, which is based on the principles of the flexibility of individual educational trajectories and different methods usage, students' autonomy support, mutual respect of teachers and students and the respect to the diversity of students and their needs. The purpose of the article is to highlight and analyze the peculiarities of preparation of future vocational education teachers in the conditions of student-centred learning and teaching. In accordance with the purpose and the set objectives, such theoretical methods of research were applied as an analysis, a synthesis and the generalization of scientific-pedagogical literature and normative-legal documents. The author believes that the future vocational education teachers’ training in a student-centred setting is a complex task according to the ESG recommendations. The study identifies the positive features of a student-centred approach, as well as the possible risks; characterizes and analyzes the key principles of the European Standards and Guidelines (ESG) on Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) in terms of the specificities of the training system for future vocational education teachers. Moreover, it defines that providing sufficient feedback from students, forming assessment criteria based on the creative display of acquired knowledge and skills, rational lesson planning, adherence to the “lifelong learning” principle, and promoting self-examination among teachers and students are the key components of implementing the student-centred learning and teaching principles. The author made a conclusion that student-centred learning and teaching contributes to the realization of intellectual, cultural and emotional potential, creates the conditions for students’ self-expression and self-identification, promotes the democratic and humanistic values of institutions of higher education (IHE) as important public institutions and, having a positive impact on the quality of training, creates a springboard for realizing the educational process participants’ potential on the basis of proactivity and common opinion.
2. Akad. ped. nauk Ukrainy [Academy of pedagogical sciences of Ukraine] (2008). Entsyklopediia osvity – Encyclopedia of Education, 20–21.
3. Boiko, M. (2019). Studentotsenrovane navchannia v protsesi upravlinnia yakistiu profesiinoi pidhotovky maibutnoho vchytelia [Student-centred learning in the process of management of the future teacher's vocational training quality]. ScienceRise: Pedagogical Education, 4 (31), 41–45 [in Ukrainian].
4. Borodenko, S. M. (2016). Materalno-tekhnichnyi aspekt zabezpechennia studentotsentrovanoho pidkhodu v osviti [Material aspect of providing a student-centred approach in education]. 76–77 Retrieved from https://ir.kneu.edu.ua/handle/2010/29358?show=full [in Ukrainian].
5. Bratanych, A. (2017). Osoblyvosti osobystisno oriientovanoho navchannia studentiv u vyshchomu navchalnomu zakladi [Features of the students’ personality-oriented education in higher education institution]. Osvitnii dyskurs. Humanitarni nauky – Educational discourse. Humanities, 1(1), 114–123 [in Ukrainian].
6. Dzhym, A.Yu., Baranova, S. (2017). Osobystisno-oriientovanyi pidkhid na zaniattiakh z inozemnoi movy [Personality-centred approach to foreign language lessons]. Molodyi vchenyi – Young scientist, 5 (45), 308–311 [in Ukrainian].
7. Dobroskok, I. (2019). Kontseptualni zasady realizatsii Smart-osvity u systemi vidnosyn universytet-shkola [Conceptual foundations for the implementation of Smart-education in the system of university ‒ school relations]. Novyi Kolehium– New Collegium, 2, 42–44 [in Ukrainian].
8. Ilchenko, A. & Podliesna, H. (2018). Shliakhy realizatsii osobystisno-oriientovanoho pidkhodu do navchannia v protsesi formuvannia osobystosti zdobuvacha vyshchoi osvity [Ways of implementing a personality-oriented approach to learning in the process of forming the personality of a higher education applicant]. Dyrektor shkoly, litseiu, himnazii – Headmaster of the school, lyceum, gymnasium, 6 (2), 389–400 [in Ukrainian].
9. Kovalova, K.V. (2017). Osobystisno-oriientovane navchannia, yak skladova protsesu fakhovoi pidhotovky spetsialistiv inzhenernoho profiliu [Personality-oriented studying as a component of the process of professional training of specialists of the engineering field]. Tekhnika, enerhetyka, transport APK [Engineering, energy, transportation of agroindustrial complex]. Vyp. 4, pp. 46-50 [in Ukrainian].
10. Kulaha, I. & Tkachenko, O. (2016). Studentotsentrovanyi pidkhid yak osvitnia innovatsiia u vyshchii osviti Ukrainy [Student-centered approach as an educational innovation in higher education in Ukraine]. International Scientific and Practical Conference «Ukraine – EU. Modern Technology, Business and Law», 378 [in Ukrainian].
11. Sosnytska, N. & Hlikman, S. (2017). Studentotsentrovanyi pidkhid do profesiinoi osvity v umovakh staloho rozvytku suspilstv [Student-centred approach to vocational education in the context of sustainable societies development]. Naukovyi visnyk Lotnoi akademii; Seriia: Pedahohichni nauky – Scientific Bulletin of the Flight Academy. Pedagogical Sciences, 1, 379 [in Ukrainian].
12. Furdui, S. (2017). Studentotsentrovane navchannia yak perspektyvnyi element vyshchoi osvity [Student-centred learning as a promising element of higher education]. Tradytsii ta innovatsii v suchasnii pedahohichnii diialnosti: yevropeiskyi vymir – Traditions and innovations in modern pedagogical activity: the European dimension, 126-128 [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.