The Problems of the Youth Education and Up-Bringing on the Volin Territory of the Nineteenth - the First Half of the Twentieth Century in Scientific Research
The article examines the historiography of the problem of education and upbringing children and youth living in the Volyn province and the Volyn region in the XIXth – the first half of XXth century. The purpose of the article is to analyse the publications and scientific works about the children and youth education and upbringing at the territory of Volyn in the XIXth- the first half of the XXth century and to make recommendations about their using in the educational institutions of today. Three groups of the scientific works were distinguished: a) the publications of the late XIXth – the early XXth centuries; b) the scientific works of the mid-XXth century; c) the scientific books written at the period of the independent Ukraine. It is noted that scientists of the late XIXth – the early XXth centuries analysed the education and upbringing of children and young people, they emphasized the need for the formation of the children’s scientific worldview, bringing them up in the Christian spirit. The scientific works of the early XXth century were nationally oriented so the researchers highlighted the issues of the children national mentality fostering. The monographs written in the mid-XXth century are politically influenced but they provide the information about the number of the educational institutions, students in schools and analyse the patterns of the educational process. In the dissertations of the late XXth – the early XXIth centuries the scientists have objectively explored the various aspects of the education and upbringing of Volyn youth in the XIXth – the first half of the XXth century. The article provides the recommendations of these research using in modern educational institutions.
The author analysed the scientific works of M. Barsov about public schools, schools in the Volyn and Podilia. The article describes in detail the scientific books by M. Teodorovich, which described the schools of the Volyn province and church-parish schools, their numbers and students. The researcher described the activities of Prince K. Ostrozky and gave the positive assessment of the work of A. Bludova, who founded schools in Ostroh in the mid-XXth century.
The analysis of scientific explorations of different historical epochs has led to the following conclusions: a) the process of the children’s and youth’s education and upbringing in Volyn of the XIX th - at the beginning of the XXth century was the object of scientific searches since the middle of the XIXth century to the present day; b) education and up-bringing were covered in light of educational policy and socio-cultural status; c) the researchers of different historical epochs provided information about the number of schools, their types, the material and technical base of schools. It is explained that teachers must study scientific works about the education and upbringing of children in the territory of Volyn. The author of the article believes that the proper studying of scientific research about education in different regions of Ukraine contributes the deeper understanding of the studying process and provides the opportunities for better using of pedagogical achievements in the context of reforming the modern education system.
2. Barsov, M. (1863). Shkolі Volіny і Podolyy [Schools of Volyn and Podolia]. Sankt Peterburh [in Russian].
3. Batiushkov, P. (1888). Volyn. Ystorycheskye Sudbі Yuho-Zapodnoho kraia [Historical Fates of the Southwestern Territory]. Sankt Peterburh: typohrafyia t-va «Obshchestvennaia polza» [in Russian].
4. Boreiko, O.M. (2004). Prosvitnytsko-pedahohichna diialnist hromadskykh tovarystv Volyni (dr. pol. XIX – poch. XX st.) [Educational and pedagogical activity of Volyn public associations (the second half of the XIXth – the beginning of the XXth centuries.)] Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Zhytomyr : Zhytomyr Ivan Franko State University [in Ukrainian].
5. Brychok, S.B. (2005). Tserkovnoparafiialni shkoly v systemi pochatkovoi osvity na Volyni (druha polovyna ХІХ – o 20-ti rr. ХХ с.) [Church schools in the system of elementary education in Volyn (second half of the nineteenth - the twenties of the twentieth century)]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Zhytomyr: Zhytomyr Ivan Franko State University [in Ukrainian].
6. Hrushevskyi M. (1913). Iliustrovana istoriia Ukrainy [The illustrated history of Ukraine]. Kyiv-Lviv [in Ukrainian].
7. Entsyklopediia Brokhauza i Yefrona (1892) [Encyclopedia by F. Brockhaus and I. Efron] URL: http://www.vehi.net/brokgauz [in Russian].
8. Iershova, L.M. (2002). Rozvytok zhinochoi osvity na Volyni (kinets XVIII - pochatok XX stolittia) [Development of women's education in Volyn (the end of the XVIII th – the beginning of XXth century)]. Candidate’s thesis. Kyiv: The Institute of Pedagogy of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
9. Kostiuk, O.Yu. (2007). Stanovlennia ta rozvytok relihiinoi osvity na Volyni (ХІХ – poch. ХХ st.) [The Formation and the development of religious education in Volyn (the 19th – the early 20th centuries)]. Candidate’s thesis. Ostroh: The National University of Ostroh Academy [in Ukrainian].
10. Kulchynskyi, V. (2018) Formy ta metody patriotychnoho vykhovannia molodi v ukrainskii shkoli (druha polovyna ХХ st.) [Forms and methods of patriotic upbringing of young people in the Ukrainian school (the second half of the ХХ century) ] Psykholoho-pedahohichni osnovy humanizatsii navchalno-vykhovnoho protsesu v shkoli ta VNZ – Psychological and pedagogical bases of humanization of educational process in school and university, 2 (20), 68–75. [in Ukrainian].
11. Levkivskyi, M. (2011). Velyka Volyn: Istoriia osvity i kultury: Monohrafiia. [The Great Volyn: History of Education and Culture: Monograph]. Zhytomyr [in Ukrainian].
12. Mozharivska, I.M. (2011). Rozvytok pozashkilnoi osvity y vykhovannia na Volyni-Zhytomyrshchyni (druha polovyna ХІХ – 30-ti roky ХХ stolittia)
[Extracurricular education and upbringing in Volyn-Zhytomyr region (the second half of XIX th - 30 years of XXth century)]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Zhytomyr: Zhytomyr Ivan Franko State University [in Ukrainian].
13. Muravev, A. (1871). Pochayevskaya Lavra i Ostrozhske bratstvo. [Pochaev Lavra and Ostrog brotherhood]. Kremenetsk [in Russian].
14. Natsionalna doktryna rozvytku osvity. [National doctrine of educational development]. URL: http://info-library.com.ua [in Ukrainian].
15. Obolonchyk, N.H. (2007). Kremenetskyi litsei v systemi utvorennia Druhoi Rechi Pospolytoi [Kremenets Lyceum in the system of formation of the Second Commonwealth]: Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Chernivtsi: Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University [in Ukrainian].
16. Petrenko, I.M. (2005) Tserkovnoparafiialni shkoly Livoberezhnoi Ukrainy v systemi osvitnoi uriadovoi polityky tsarskoi Rosii [Church-parish schools of Left Bank Ukraine in the system of educational government policy of tsarist Russia]: Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Kyiv: National Pedagogical Dragomanov University [in Ukrainian].
17. Selyvanov, A. Volinskaia huberniia [Volyn Governorate] Entsyklopediia F. Brokhauza i I. Yefrona – Encyclopedia by F. Brockhaus and I. Efron. Retrieved from http://www.vehi.net/brokgauz [in Russian].
18. Strazhnikova, I. (2015). Istoriohrafiia rozvytku pedahohichnoi nauky u doslidzhenniakh Zakhidnoho rehionu Ukrainy (druha polovyna KhKh – pochatok KhKhI stolittia) [Historiography of pedagogical science development in Western Ukraine studies (the second half of the XXth – the beginning of the XXIth century)]: Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Ternopil: Ternopil Volodymyr Hnatiuk National Pedagogical University [in Ukrainian].
19. Teodorovych, M. (1889). Ystoryko-statystycheskoe opysanye tserkvei y prykhodov Volinskoi eparkhyy [Historical and statistical description of churches and parishes of the Volyn Diocese]: Uezd Rovenskyi, Ostrozhskyi y Dubenskyi. Vol. 3. 435–1126. Kremenetsk [in Russian].
20. Yanevych, M. (1925). Druha hubernialna konferentsiia pedahohichnykh VUZiv Volyni. [Second Governorate Conference of Volyn Pedagogical Universities] Shliakh osvity – The path of education, 3, 34. [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.