The Research of the Motivation Sphere of Future Electric Power Engineers to Study Foreign Language
The article deals with the research of the structural components of students' motivational sphere towards learning a foreign language of professional orientation. It has been considered that the result of foreign language training of future electric power engineers and the desire to learn the professional language style depend on the level of motivation. There are five types of motives that encourage students to acquire a foreign language competence. The research reveals the essence of the concept of «motive of future electric power engineers to study foreign language», under which it is understood the structural element of motivation, being formed under the influence of external factors (strategy of development and implementation of international activities by technical Universities, the authority of teachers providing foreign-language training, the challenges of the information society, the innovations in the energy power sector, modern requirements to electric power specialties graduates) and internal needs of the individual (the desire to acquire up-to-date knowledge in the specialty, the will to succeed in the learning process and in the future professional activity). The holistic formation of educational, professional, communicative, personal, socio-cultural motives forms a complex of stimulating means aiming positive attitude of the students of electric power energy specialty to study a foreign language, which is carried out under the influence of external and internal motivation. Moreover the rate of studying the disciplines of the general training cycle by future electric power energy engineers on the bases of personal motives has been formed. It has been defined the priority of «Foreign language for professional orientation» among other non-linguistic subjects, the study of which is envisaged by the educational and professional program of training the applicants for the specialty 141 «Electricity, electrical engineering and electromechanics». However the external factors that can increase students' internal motivation for foreign language training have been highlighted. They are an educational work practice at the foreign electric power plants; studying of selective professional disciplines in a foreign language; reading contemporary technical literature of a foreign publishing house; using of innovative technologies, modern teaching methods in practical courses in the disciplines «Foreign language for professional orientation», «Business foreign language»; organization and implementation of extracurricular work for students in a foreign language. It has been defined the results of the experimental work had been carried out by the method of empirical research, such as surveys, observations and comparisons. On the basis of the data obtained, the author of the article states that the motivational sphere of the future electric power engineers and encouraging them to study a foreign language is at a sufficient level, and considers that the formation process of motives and positive motivation of students for foreign language training requires further development and comprehensive expansion.
2. Honcharenko, S. (1997). Ukrainskyi pedahohichnyi slovnyk [Ukrainian Pedagogical Dictionary]. Kyiv : «Lybid» [in Ukrainian].
3. Entsyklopediia osvity (2008). [Encyclopаedia of Education]. Kyiv : «Yurinkom Inter» [in Ukrainian].
4. Klymenko, N.O. (2005). Formuvannia motyviv navchalno-piznavalnoi diialnosti studentiv vyshchykh navchalnykh zakladiv humanitarnoho profiliu [The formation of motives of educational and cognitive activity of students in higher educational establishments pertaining to the humanities]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Luhansk [in Ukrainian].
5. Klochko, V.I. & Kolomiiets, A.A. (2012). Formuvannia motyvatsii navchalno-piznavalnoi diialnosti studentiv tekhnichnykh spetsialnostei [The formation of motives of educational and cognitive activity of students in higher educational establishments]. Vinnytsia : VNTU [in Ukrainian].
6. Kolomiiets, A.A. (2011). Formuvannia motyvatsii navchalno-piznavalnoi diialnosti studentiv tekhnichnykh spetsialnostei zasobamy istoriohrafii [Formation of motivation of training and cognitive activity of students of technical specialties by means of historiography]. Candidate’s thesis. Vinnytsia [in Ukrainian].
7. Podshyvailov, F.M. (2015). Psykholohichni chynnyky rozvytku motyvatsiinoi sfery osobystosti maibutnoho psykholoha [Psychological premises of the development of future psychologist’s personality motivational sphere]. Candidate’s thesis. Кyiv [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.